Friday, April 27, 2012

A Very Popular Newfoundland Folk Song; I'se the B'y

This is a rendition of a very popular Newfoundland folk song by a popular Newfoundland band, Great Big Sea. This is a fairly well known song outside of Newfoundland as well. I grew up singing on the playground at school, and sometimes as a jump-rope song. When I asked my mother if she knew of any folk songs this was one of the few she knew by name, although she still refused to sing it to me. She told me to look up the words as it goes on forever, in a kind of circle as she remembered, and that I probably only new the chorus. I found the song in the book, Folksongs of Canada. It was collected from Dr. Leslie Bell and his singers. The introduction of the song reads, "Most Newfoundlanders love to dance, and this lively ditty is one of their favourite dance tunes." The lyrics in the songbook are as follows (page 57):

1. I'se the b'y that builds the boat ,
 and I'se the b'y that sails her!
I'se the b'y that catches the fish
and take'em home to Liser

refrain: hip yer partner, Sally Tibbo! Hip yer partner, Sally Brown!
Fogo, Twillingate, Mort'ton's Harbour, All around the circle!

2. Sods and rinds to cover yer flake,
cake and tea for supper,
codfish in the spring o' the year
fried in maggoty butter.

refrain

3. I don't want your maggoty fish,
That's no good for winter;
I could buy as good as that
Down in Bonavista.

refrain

4. I took Lizer to a dance,
and faith, but she could travel!
and every step that she did take
was up to her knees in gravel.

refrain

5. Susan White, she's out of sight,
Her petticoat wants a border;
Old Sam Oliver, in the dark,
He kissed her in the corner.

refrain


1 comment:

  1. http://www.greatbigsea.com/
    Fowke, Edith Fulton, and Richard Johnston. Folk songs of Canada. Choral ed. Waterloo, Ont.: Waterloo Music Co., 1954. Print.

    ReplyDelete