Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Popular Nova Scotia Folksong: Farewell to Nova Scotia (Nova Scotia Song)

This song is another very popular folksong, known or at least heard by most people who grew up in Atlantic Canada. It has been covered by a number of bands, both local and international. One of my favourite versions, because it sounds like the versions I've heard sung by crowds of people in pubs or other places, is sung by the Irish Rovers. This is Canadian band started in Toronto Canada by Irish immigrants. The Irish influence is incredibly evident, especially in the musical accompaniment. When I asked my father, who grew up in Nova Scotia, if he knew of any folk songs, this was the one he sung the first few lines of to me. The Irish Rovers' recording was also his suggested version.

The following are the lyrics recorded in the 1954 edition of Folk Songs of Canada, p. 23 (The song is titled Nova Scotia Song in this book, but I have always known it as, Farewell to Nova Scotia):

1. The sun was setting in the west, the birds were singing on
    every tree, All nature seemed inclined for rest, But
    still there was no rest for me.


 chorus: Farewell to Nova Scotia, the
             sea-bound coast! Let your mountains dark and dreary be
             For when I am far away on the
             briny ocean tossed Will you ever heave a sigh and a wish for me?

2. I grieve to leave my native land, I grieve to leave my
    comrades all, And my parents whom I held so dear, And the
    bonny, bonny lass that I do adore

chorus

3. The drums they do beat and the wars do alarm. The captain calls, we
    must obey, So farewell, farewell to Nova Scotia's charms, For it's
    early in the morning I am far, far away


chorus

4.  I have three brothers and they are at rest, Their arms are folded
    on their breast, But a poor simple sailor just like me Must be
    tossed and driven on the dark blue sea.


chorus

1 comment:

  1. http://irishroversmusic.com/page/index
    Fowke, Edith Fulton, and Richard Johnston. Folk songs of Canada. Choral ed. Waterloo, Ont.: Waterloo Music Co., 1954. Print.

    ReplyDelete