Sunday, April 29, 2012

PEI folksong: Alec's Lament

This song sung by Mr. Edward Fitzgerald of Tignish, PEI was published in the Folk Songs of Prince Edward Island in 1973 (page 47). There were many interesting songs in the book, but the author admits to editing many of them to "improve" them or because the singer forgot lines. This song appears to be unaltered, and I found the story that went along with it to be quite interesting. Here is a short clip of a recording of the song, and the recorded lyrics from the book:

http://www.tignish.com/files/audio/Alec's%20Lament%20-%20Edward%20Fitzgerald.mp3

Oh, come all you jolly bootleggers and
you that handle brew. Beware of Howard Foley, or he'll
play a trick on you. Beware of Howard Foley, boys, now
take a tip from me, Or you'll spend a night in Tignish jail with-
out your bread and tea.

Oh, we have a keeper round the jail, by the name of Albert Knox.
He's not much good to wrestle, and he's neither good to box.
He'll try to console you, boys until you're locked within
And when you turn your head around he'll put on that sneaky grin.

Here's adieu to Tignish village and the way that it is run
Is used to be a place to drink and enjoy a good night's fun.
But Foley now is on the beat in every hole and nook,
Just waiting for that sneaky chance to throw us in the coop.

Oh, they talk about their freedoms, but there's really none, for me.
For every night he's hunting me when I'm out on a spree.
He tries to stop my drinking, I'm to live a sober man
So I'll have to leave the village and go to some foreign land.

1 comment:

  1. Gool, Rashard. Folksongs of Prince Edward Island. revised edition ed. Charlottetown, P.E.I.: Square Deal Publications , 1975. Print.

    ReplyDelete